May this holiday season bring you renewal and hope. Happy Passover from EyeCandyTO!
Make your own Beet & Horseradish Condiment – Chrein – for your Passover Seder (see recipe below)
Chrein – Beet & Horseradish Condiment Recipe
Yield: 2 1/2 cups
4 each Medium beets, peel & grated
3 Tbsp Horseradish root, freshly grated (adjust amount depending on spiciness)
1 tsp Kosher salt
2 Tbsp Red wine vinegar (or cider or white)
4 Tbsp Sugar
Enough water to slightly cover the grated beets
- Peel, wash and grate the beets. Put them in a pot and add enough water to slightly cover them. Do not put too much water or the product will be too wet. Cook until very tender. Between 20-30 minutes, but check as times may vary.
- While hot, add the vinegar salt and sugar and mix well until everything is dissolved.
- Add the grated horseradish. Place in a bowl and let cool for a few minutes. Place in the refrigerator, covered, for 2-3 hours. Adjust seasoning before serving.
- Adjust ingredientes to your personal preferences. Add more or less sugar to adjust sweetness. More or less vinegar to adjust acidity. And more or less horseradish to adjust potency & spiciness.
- Beets can be puréed instead of grated for a smoother consistency. Do this after you cook the beets, and dice them to cook instead of grating.