Valentine’s Day is just a few days away and what a better way to tell someone they are special to you then to make them breakfast in bed. Have you ever wanted to know the ways to make the perfect eggs? Scrambled, poached, fried or boiled? Follow the simple instructions below and make that special someone a breakfast in bed they will never forget!
The most important rule when cooking eggs is simple: Avoid high temperatures and long cooking times. In order words, do not overcook. Overcooking produces tough eggs, causes discolouration and affects flavour.
When cooking eggs it is also important to know about the principle of coagulation. As proteins are heated, they become firm or coagulate. As the temperature increases, they shrink, become firmer, and lose moisture. Exposure of proteins to excessive heat toughens them, and makes them dry.
Eggs coagulate at the following temperatures:
- Whole eggs beaten: about 156°F (69°C)
- Whites: 140-149°F (60-65°C)
- Yolks: 144-158°F (62-70°C)
- Custard (whole egg plus liquid): 175-185°F (79-85°C)
Because whites coagulate or cook before yolks do, it is possible to have eggs with firm whites but soft yolks.
PROCEDURES FOR COOKING EGGS
- Use a non-stick pan for better results. Coat pan with cooking spray, oil or butter and set to a moderate heat.
- Crack your egg into a small bowl, to prevent yolk from breaking.
- When the fat is hot enough (you can tell by the sizzling of water droplets) slide the egg(s) into the pan.
- Cook until ready:
- For sunny-side up cook slowly without flipping 3-4 minutes.
- For over easy or over medium flip with a spatula carefully. Make sure the spatula is under the yolk so it doesn’t break and allow to cook for another minute for over easy and two for over medium.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons white vinegar, per litre of water (the vinegar is not needed if you know the eggs are super fresh).
- Bring water to a boil, and turn it down to a simmer before adding the eggs. If the water is boiling, the egg will lose its shape when dropped in.
- Break eggs into a small bowl, one at a time, and slide into the simmering water.
- Simmer 3-5 minutes, until whites are coagulated and yolks are still soft.
- Remove eggs from water from water by using a slotted spoon. You can drain them better by rolling them gently on a dry paper towel and serving immediately.
- Break eggs into a bowl, beat until well blended. Using a whisk or a fork is recommended to incorporate some air into the eggs.
- If desired, add a small amount of milk or cream, but if eggs are of good quality, this is not needed.
- Spray non-stick pan with cooking spray, oil or butter (with butter you get a tastier result) and heat until pan sizzles with droplets of water.
- Pour in the egg mixture, and reduce heat to a medium-low. Cook them low and slow.
- Stir gently from time to times eggs coagulate. By lifting cooked eggs and letting the uncooked touch the bottom of a pan, you ensure even cooking. Using a silicone spatula is recommended for better results.
- Do not let eggs brown and keep in mind that the more you stir, the more the eggs break up.
- When eggs are set but still soft and moist, remove from the heat. Do not let them dry and serve immediately.
D. IN THE SHELL
- Bring eggs to room temperature by removing them from the fridge one hour before cooking or by placing them in warm water for 5 minutes to prevent from cracking.
- Place eggs in boiling water and bring water to a simmer.
- Simmer for the required time: Soft cooked 3-4 minutes, medium cooked 5-7 minutes & hard cooked 12-15 minutes. Time is dependant on egg temperature, size and amount of water.
- Drain right away and cool under cold running water.
- To peel, crack the shell and pull it away. Start at the large end where the air sac is located. Hold under running water to loosen the shell.
Follow these steps and we are sure you will be a pro when it comes to cooking eggs. Serve with your favourite herbs, cheeses, meats, breads and sauces to make it a complete and special breakfast. And why not, bring them to your special someone in bed and celebrate Valentine’s Day by starting the day on a good note.
Best wishes from EyeCandyTO!!